Before you know it, it will be time for your 8th graders to start considering the various high schools they want to attend. I’ve gathered some information for you to get an early start on high schools selections..
1. There are essentially four types of High Schools in NYC.
- NYC General High Schools
- NYC Charter Schools
- NYC Specialized High Schools
- Catholic / Parochial High Schools
- Independent High Schools
2. There is one application for NYC General and Specialized high school. The application must be completed online at https://www.myschools.nyc. As of now, parents are not yet able to create an online account. The Welcome Letters with the detailed instructions for creating an online account is not yet released by the NYC DOE. At this time, families can virtually explore schools and programs at https://www.schools.nyc.gov/high. Please sign on to the admissions email list at https://www.schools.nyc.gov/sign to receive updated information.
3. A list of Charter high schools could be found on the websites listed above. You will have to contact each school directly to receive information about their application process. As of now, the SHSAT exam registration and actual exam date is not available. The NYC DOE has also placed that on hold.
4. To application process for catholic or parochial High Schools begins with registering for the TACHS exam at https://tachsreg.com/. The registration fee is $65.00. Students must register between now and October 23, 2020. The exam date for the Diocese of Brooklyn and Queens is Saturday November 7, 2020. The exam will be given online. Once you have registered, you will receive an e-mail with a TACHS ID number, which you will use to complete your application. You may obtain a handbook at www.tachsinfo.com. You can also register by phone at 1-866-61TACHS (1-866-618-2247). Open from 8:00am to 7:00pm Monday–Friday and 10:00am to 2:00pm Saturday–Sunday (Eastern Time).
5. To apply for Independent High Schools, parents must create an account at https://iseeonline.erblearn.org/. This website will also provide you with ISEE test dates and a list of independent schools in NYC. The testing fee is $200. We are also available to further discuss the independent schools option.
Ms. J. Lewis-Perry,
St. Mark’s Day School